- To measure the strong interaction width and shift of the ground state
of pionic hydrogen with high precision:
better than 1% for the shift and about 2% for the width.
- Use the PSI cyclotron trap to produce the pionic hydrogen atoms
in controlled environment.
- Use crystal spectrometers and CCD detectors to measure
the X-ray lines.
- Perform measurements at different hydrogen densities.
- Perform simultaneous measurements of the pionic and
muonic hydrogen X-ray lines.
- Use the atomic cascade code to determine the Doppler
broadening corrections to the widths of the X-ray lines.
- The pion-nucleon scattering lengths will be determined with
the accuracy of about 1%.
- The pion-nucleon coupling constant will be calculated.
- The isospin breaking effects will be evaluated.
Physics of pion-nucleon interaction
Physics of atomic cascade